Monday, May 25, 2009

When patients call me doctor.....

Meanwhile there are people say that I look rather young to my age, I realized there were increasing number of patients who call me "doctor" these few days, of course with my lab coat on.

"Good morning Dr.!", "Thank you Dr.!", these are the most frequently heard 1. Of course there were also patients or their family members asking for my opinion on the condition or the treatment.

"No no no I am not a Doctor (yet), I am still a medical student..."
"Oh I see... What year are you?"
"5th year"
"Oh final year already lar, then can call you Doctor already lo"
"zzzzz......"

This is the typical scenario that I believe most of the 5th year medical students would encounter. As the humble students produced from our noble university and orientation, I think all of us can manage this kind of situation quite well and thus not falling into a state of embarrassment.

Actually I have been called as Doctor also since I wan still in Klang 1 year earlier, of course also with the white coat on. But what is more interesting is, it was a trend of increasingly more patients calling me doctor these few days, and this was nearly negligible during half a year ago when I started doing my Phase 3B over UMMC in KL.

Maybe I do look older for the past half a year. Maybe the innocent smile that used to stick on my face all the time when seeing patients had lost. Maybe I started to develop the quality of a real doctor, which are serious tone and quick, that's why make me looked a bit professional... ahha! I think the quality that I gradually developed was largely due to the busy and tired lifestyle I am having now. I started to feel stressed, loss my smile, and have to finish covering up all the patients in a quick shot, ended up I looked very dull like a real doctor....

Not sure whether this is a good or a bad point of becoming a 5th year medical students. Not sure whether every doctor went through this stage of transition. So many uncertainties.....

But what I can sure is, when I treated the patients and their family members nicely, politely, I sure will get good response from them, which is "thank you, Doctor!!" Eventhough I was just taking history from them, and this is the part of being called doctor that I love so much!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails